East Taieri School is situated in a semi rural area on the outskirts of Mosgiel, Dunedin. The school is set among park like surroundings, creating a superb working and learning environment. We are a decile 9 contributing primary school, with a roll of approximately 330 students. A strength of the school is its ‘family atmosphere’ and community involvement. There is a strong tradition of high expectations and values, which are incorporated into the school culture. Team and school wide activities are consciously planned to ensure that this is maintained. We are very fortunate to have children who are receptive to learning because their parents value education and fully support the staff. We cater for the diverse and individual needs of our learners in a variety of ways. Our experienced and caring staff work with whānau to create a positive school environment for all children.
East Taieri School, one of Otago’s oldest schools, opened in 1853, is situated in a semi rural area on the outskirts of Mosgiel. The school is set among park like surroundings, creating a superb working and learning environment.
East Taieri is one of Otago and New Zealand’s earliest schools. On November 27, 1853 it was opened as a preaching station. We look back on our heritage and connection with the pioneering Christian settlers whose way of life saw the school come into existence.
In 1856 an application was sent to the Board of Education for the use of a ten acre site for school buildings, a school house and a teacher’s house. In 1863 the new school was opened and a library added in 1865.
In 1972 the main brick building that was established in 1907, was demolished and the present building erected.